Dear Annabel Manners,
I work for a dentist whose wife is preggers. I’m invited to her chi-chi baby shower in a garden at a country club in San Marino. I’m totally intimidated! Is it OK to wear black pants and a dressy shirt? I want to fit in but I don’t want to look like I’m trying too hard.
— Carmen, Pasadena
Hmmm. I’d have to see this “dressy shirt” in order to make a solid recommendation. Feel free to email me a picture
and I’ll be sure to write back.
The answer is yes: you can wear black pants and a blouse (provided you have on good shoes). It’s perfectly appropriate but, in my opinion, unnecessarily dull. See how fresh and pretty Cameron Diaz looks in her red and white sundress?
Dresses are easy because there’s no guesswork in terms of putting together the outfit. You simply zip it up, accessorize, and stroll out the door. I’m willing to bet the right summer frock will boost your confidence and help you feel more comfortable nibbling petit fours and tea sandwiches.
Right now the stores are teeming with adorable dresses that are priced to move. Even an ex-trust fund baby like me can afford to go shopping! Here are a few options that won’t require too much of your hard-earned, teeth-cleaning cash.
- J. Crew embossed beach dress, available in five bright colors and on sale for $29.99
- Michael Kors printed trapeze halter dress, now $79.75
- Super-flattering LBD (little black dress) from Rampage, $49.95
- White, 3/4 sleeve dress from the always-affordable Aqua, $60.99
- Linen shift dress from Banana Republic, $64.99
Have fun at the fete!